First off, happy new year! Stephanie and I are back to blogging, work and our daily routines after a much needed life break. By the end of last year I was feeling burnt out on just about everything; hence, the lack of blog post. While I am typically not one for resolutions, this year I have decided I desperately need to give a try. Let’s call them guidelines, shall we?
A work/life balance is so important,and over my two weeks away from the office I realized that I didn’t have much of one. I am pretty much working all of the time, but I absolutely love my job so I never look at that as a negative. I quickly realized in my off time that when I am not working I don’t have much else to do. I haven’t pick up a good book in ages, I cancelled my gym membership months ago and my motivation for the blog sank for a little while. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved being home and spending time with my family and friends, but it came very clear I don’t know how to sit still and relax.
My guidelines are simple and are not meant to throw my world upside down:
- Pick up a good book–I have never been much of a reader, but I feel like I miss out on a lot because of that. I would ideally want to read one book a month. Since I am a newcomer, all book recommendations appreciated!
- Exercise–3 days a week. With the new year starting, my work travel will really pick and I tend to make excuses for myself on why I can’t or shouldn’t go to the gym. Yoga, pilates and barre classes are going to be my new go-to.
- Morning routine–This is going to be a tough one. I typically wake up early, but have no real plan. I’ll aimlessly walk around the apartment, lay in bed and scroll through my phone or just head into work early. Unless I head into work early it is wasted time, but not this year! Cue an early yoga class or just set blogging time.
- Darling Two–The blog was a bit of a struggle for me last year. I constantly felt unmotivated and again, made up excuses as to why I couldn’t take photos and didn’t have time post. For four years Stephanie and I have been on and off with the blog and this year it is time to fully on. You have to work for what you want, right?
- Travel–My relationship with traveling is complicated. I love going new places, but am terrified of flying. Funny because for work I travel often (and love it) but basically pass out from anxiety on the plane. But give me a road trip, and I’m there. This year I want to get out more and see new places.
If you made it this far in the post, thank you. I would love to hear your new year’s guidelines and any ideas/thoughts you want to see on the blog this year. 2017, I’m comin’ for ya.